20 November 2008

I sell out, one of you benefits (but not as much as I do)

So I reckon I’ll be as transparent about this as possible.

About a week ago, I received an email from SoccerPro.com asking if I’d review a Liverpool jersey and some other gear if they sent it to me. And given that I’ve made all of $200 for one ad over the space of two and a half years, I agreed.

So, they sent me a brand new Adidas Liverpool FC Away Jersey,
the Adidas Liverpool FC Training Jacket (which is seriously awesome), and the official history of Liverpool DVD. And I am thrilled. Because I am a whore for free clothing.

But I wouldn’t have agreed if I didn’t love the product or believe in their web site. So yeah, it should go without saying, but all of this is absolutely my own opinion.

Soccer jerseys and other soccer gear make up a fair bit of my wardrobe, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the same was true for a lot of you. Not only is it one of the few ways (and a very, very American way – God bless capitalism) for those of us on the wrong side of the pond to show support for the team we follow so closely, it’s also a way to identify other members of the same tribe.

I’ve lived all over this country – in big cities, college towns, and rural areas – as well as in London. And everywhere I’ve been, soccer gear has been a conversation starter. I’ve made friends on campus, both as a grad student and an undergrad, because they were wearing a Liverpool jersey. Or an England jersey. Or a Holland jersey. Yes, I really do have that many jerseys; you don’t know the half of it.

It goes without saying that I wouldn’t be writing this if it weren’t for the deal graciously provided by SoccerPro, but jerseys truly are great gifts. And given that SoccerPro has free shipping on everything besides enormous stuff like goals (the stuff got here in less than four business days), I don’t feel awkward recommending them even though I’ve been paid off. Such is the way of the world, I’ve learned.

And since soccer DVDs give endless amusement and because I feel marginally guilty about reaping all of the benefits, I’m giving the DVD away to whoever wins this year’s fantasy football contest. I’ve been monstrously busy of late, and I can’t remember the last time I’ve logged in to check or change my team, so chances are, I’m not winning the competition. And even if I do, second place will get the prize. So for the 23 of you, there’s a bit of added incentive.

Gangly Handful FC is currently in the lead, but Torres' Tories, Chinaman FC, and Wyckyd Sceptre aren’t far behind. 12 of you are less than 100 points behind the leader. So, to the winner go some of the spoils. And if the winner already has it or doesn’t come through on getting said spoils, I’ll think up another way to give it out. Plus, this good fortune has the wheels turnings as to other contests I could have on this site, no matter my financial situation.

So support your freeloading, unpaid blogger. Go to SoccerPro.com, buy stuff, and come back sometime tomorrow for the preview of the Fulham match, which is 10am Saturday on Setanta.

No comments :